One thing I’ve noticed listening to the same dozen or so songs every hour on our local Christmas music station is this, the wildcards. Yes, the same 12-15 songs done differently every hour but every half an hour or so they throw in one that makes you really remember that there are more than just the standards to enjoy at Christmas.
Some are head scratchers, some nostalgia. Right now I’d like to point out some of the highlights for me from this season:
I’m going to actually start out with the low note before I rattle off the list of the rest. That low note is Same Old Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg. If you know the song you’re going to think I’m lying but they do play it this year with the other holiday songs, not that this should in any way be considered a holiday song. I get it, Old Lang Syne is in the title but does that mean that whoever is programming the songs is just doing a search on terms to find songs to add to the list?
If you don’t know the song, I suggest you look it up and give it a listen. Give it a chuckle too. As much of a story based downer it is, it’s kinda funny in a morbid and depressing way.
Also, keep in mind that up until a couple of years ago Last Christmas by Wham would have been on the list you see here. I don’t know who to thank or curse for that but I would really like to find them so Dan Fogelberg’s piece of crap song doesn’t end up doing the same thing.
Enough of that, here’s the list of the holiday ‘also rans’:
- Trans-siberian Orchestra – Christmas Eve Sarejevo 12/24
- Eagles – Please Come Home For Christmas
- Vince Guaraldi Trio – Linus And Lucy
- Beach Boys – Little Saint Nick
- Thurl Ravenscroft – You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch
- Faith HillWhere Are You Christmas?
- Elton John – Step Into Christmas
- Carpenters – Merry Christmas Darling
- Frank Sinatra – Mistletoe And Holly
- Gayla Peevey – I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas
- Kenny Rogers – Christmas In America
- Lettermen – Christmas Waltz
- Andrews Sisters – Christmas Island
- Brook Benton – This Time Of Year
- Johnny Mathis – Calypso Noel
- Roy Orbison – Pretty Paper
- Darlene Love – Marshmallow World
- Brenda Lee – This Time Of Year
- Newsong – The Christmas Shoes
- Pentatonix – That”s Christmas To Me
- Bruce Bergh – Christmas Time Of The Year
- Kelly Clarkson – Wrapped In Red
- Lou Monte – Dominick The Donkey
- Rosemary Clooney – Suzy Snowflake
- Johnny Mathis – We Need A Little Christmas
- Bing Crosby – Mele Kalikimaka
- Royal Guardsmen – Snoopy’s Christmas
- Tim Rushlow & His Big Band – What Do I Do With Blue
- Jackson 5 – I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
- Kelly Clarkson – Underneath The Tree
Yes, I understand there’s some standards and classics on there. I’m just saying they don’t get played enough to be part of the “core” songs. Also, John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s Happy Christmas (War Is Over) should probably be on this list but I got this from the radio station’s website with a list of the last 350 songs and apparently they are as sick of the song as I have been for so many years.